NWAACC Track & Field Athletes of the Week #3
Week #3 Starting 3/18/11
Men's Track & Field Athletes of the Week
Zach Young (Mt. Hood, Sophomore)
-- Event: 400m Hurdles; Mark: 53.05, Event: 4x100m Relay; Mark: 42.48 at Oregon Preview
- "Ran a HUGE 400m Hurdles race. Raced to win the race (missing first by 0.01 seconds) and ran a monster PR."
- "Amazing race for this early in the year. [Of course I'm a bit biased as I once held the Oregon Preview meet record in this event 52.19 ...I know, a shameless plug/ I guess the ego needed stroking, sorry.] But seriously, I haven't seen those kind of numbers in this league in March in a long time. Congrats Zach!"
Wes Nolen (Spokane, Sophomore)
-- Event: Javelin; Mark: 220'10"/67.30m at Dusty Lane Open
- "Great throw in first meet of the season to win the meet and is #1 javelin throw in NWAACC and NJCAA."
- "Awesome throw!"
- "Eyepopping mark!"
- "220ft in March is a WOW mark."
- "Monster throw."
Women's Track & Field Athletes of the Week
Stephenie Cummings (Spokane, Freshman)
-- Event: 200m; Mark: 26.24, Event: 400m; Mark: 57.55 at Dusty Lane Open
- "Talented in the both the 200m and 400m!"
- "Will love to see how fast she finishes the season."
- "First outdoor meet this season and is leading the NWAACC in both long sprints. She is the only NWAACC woman under 60 seconds in the 400m."
Katie Higgins (Clackamas, Freshman)
-- Event: Discus; Mark: 37.99 / 124' 8", Event: Hammer; Mark: 46.38 / 152' 2" at Lewis & Clark Spring Break Open
- "Katie had a 12 foot personal best in the hammer throw to win the L&C Spring Break open and extend her NWAACC leading mark. She followed the hammer throw with a second place finish in the discus."
- "Very impressive hammer toss."
- "Great day for Katie!"